The Federal Ministry of Health Tuesday disclosed that two more Ebola patients who had been receiving treatment at the isolation ward in Lagos State, have been discharged.
Minister of Health, Prof Onyebuchi Chukwu told journalists Tuesday evening at a joint press briefing with the Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, that the duo, a male doctor and a female nurse who were confirmed positive after participating in the treatment of the index case, were successfully treated and discharged yesterday, August 25th, having satisfied the criteria for discharge.
Chukwu reiterated that the confirmed cases of the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) since the disease was imported into the country by the Late Liberian- American, Patrick Sawyer in July stands at 13.
“As of today the 26th of August, 2014, Nigeria has had 13 cases of EVD including the index case. Of these 13, five including the index case unfortunately did not survive the disease and are now late,” said the health minister.
He recalled that five of the infected persons had been successfully managed at the isolation ward in Lagos and discharged earlier, adding that the additional two were discharged only yesterday.
This brings the total number of treated Ebola patients in Nigeria to 7.
While confirming that the discharge of the duo now brings the Ebola case in the country to one, he said: “As I speak to you, Nigeria has only one confirmed case of EVD, a secondary contact of Mr. Patrick Sawyer and spouse of one of the physicians who participated in the management of the index case. She is stable but undergoing treatment at the isolation ward in Lagos.”
Chukwu emphasised that so far, all the reported cases of the EVD in Nigeria have their root in the index case, saying, Nigeria has contained the disease outbreak.
According to him, 129 suspected cases have undergone the 21 days observation of the symptoms of the disease and have been let go, while another 128 suspected cases are still currently under surveillance.
The minister ceased the occasion to clarify that the N1.9 billion allocated to the Ministry of Health by the Federal Government recently, was not for the Ebola disease but for the running of the ministry.
Also speaking, the Minister of Information, Labaran Maku appealed to the media to continue to raise awareness in the public about the Ebola disease and other health issues.