The Lagos State Fire Service responded to 1, 621 fire incidents between January and Dec. 21 this year.
Director of the Service, Rasaq Fadipe, disclosed this on Friday, while briefing newsmen on the activities of the Service in 2014.
Fadipe said that 172 incidents were recorded in March, which was the highest in the period while October recorded the lowest with 94 incidents reported.
He said 108 rescue calls were responded to, while nine collapsed building calls were also recorded.
The director, who said that they received 275 false calls, did not mention how many deaths were recorded within the period under review.
NAN reports that 2,005 fire incidents were recorded during the same period in 2013.
Fadipe advised members of the public to avoid any act that could cause fire outbreak, especially candle light, generating set, power surge and over loading electrical appliances.
Meanwhile, tragedy struck on Christmas day in Lagos when, Sodiq Ojomo, working with a catering service, drowned in a swimming pool at an event centre, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
Disclosing this to NAN, Fadipe said that the incident occurred at No. 3/5, Durosinmi Etti Street, Victoria Island.
He said that the 23 year-old man was at the centre with his colleagues to entertain some guests with food.
He said that the victim allegedly jumped into the swimming pool against the advice of his supervisor.
The director said police from Maroko division picked up the corpse and deposited it at a public mortuary. (NAN)