Tragedy in Chibok as soldier commits suicide after killing captain

There was confusion in the Chibok local government area of Borno state on Sunday after a staff sergeant identified as Silas Ninyo killed one K. Mani, his superior, and injured four residents of the area.

Ninyo also took his own life after wreaking the havoc.

Mani was reportedly killed in the process of disarming the sergeant who was said to be drunk.

A source told TheCable that a team of soldiers led by Mani, who was providing security for worshippers during Sunday service, received a distress call that Ninyo was beating civilians for unknown reasons.

Mani had led his men to the scene but lost his life.

“Captain Mani, accompanied by soldiers, moved to the scene to free the civilian but while trying to disarm the errant soldier, Captain Mani was shot dead by Staff Sergeant Ninyo, who later killed himself,” the source said.

The corpses of the deceased have been deposited at a military hospital in Yola, Adamawa state.

Reacting, Sani Usman, spokesman of the army, described the deaths of the officer and the staff sergeant as a great loss to the army.

Usman said a committee of inquiry had been set up to investigate the matter.

He said the headquarters of 28 task force brigade Nigerian army has instituted a board of inquiry (BOI) to unravel the circumstances surrounding the incident.

“The board of inquiry is expected investigate the incident and promptly turn in its report and findings in one week,” he said.

“At about 12:50pm today, the unit received a report that a staff was seen to be drunk and misbehaving to civilians.

“An officer was dispatched to the scene with a view to bringing him back to base. The officer did his best but the Senior Non-Commission Officer (SNCO) refused several entreaties to calm him and be disarmed by the superior officer.

“Unfortunately, the staff sergeant shot the officer dead and then killed himself. Their remains have since been evacuated to a military facility.”

SOURCE: The Cable